No fear of the tube
Open high-field MRI with special patient comfort
The Hitachi OASIS ™ is currently the world’s most powerful open magnetic resonance tomograph with a field strength of 1.2 Tesla. Our radiology practice in Witten is one of only two German practices working with this highly modern and efficient scanner.
It is characterized by the following features:
- open design with a 270 ° view
- The world’s strongest vertical magnetic field of an open magnetic resonance tomograph of 1.2 Tesla
- Use of individual receiver coils on the table (Zenith ™ coils)
- patient-friendly examination table (extra wide, both vertical and
laterally displaceable, payload up to 300 kg)
- Significant reduction in knocking due to the SoftSound ™ technology
- wide range of special imaging functions, such as RADAR ™ or TIGRE ™
- the use of different sequences according to the clinical requirements
- HOSS ™ -technique (High Order Shimming System) = Homogenization of the vertical magnetic field before each examination
Let us convince you of the diagnostic quality and the extraordinary patient comfort of this open magnetic resonance tomograph!
Advantages of open MRI
Advantages of open MRI
The open magnetic resonance tomograph Hitachi OASIS ™ offers our patients a high level of diagnostic safety and exceptional patient comfort.
The open architecture of the scanner also enables those groups of patients for whom examinations in conventional MRI are scarcely or only to a limited extent perform a comprehensive diagnosis with the help of magnetic resonance tomography.
Benefit from the special characteristics of this open MRI scanner:
Due to the open design of this high-tech device, you as a patient have a 270 ° field of view in our examination room. Thus, even patients who are generally afraid of MRI examinations, feel comfortable and have no anxiety.
They lie on a comfortable examination table of about 2.5 m in width, which is flexibly adjustable both in height and on both sides. It is also designed for a payload of up to 300 kg. This is particularly beneficial for restricted or overweight patients.
With the help of the fully automatic patient table, we can bring you exactly to the desired position as well as carry out additional functional examinations, tissue sampling or pain therapy interventions.
The vertical magnetic field of the 1.2 Tesla-field scanner provides excellent high-resolution, high-contrast 3D image quality. Paired with the Zenith ™ receiver coils, the result is optimal signal yield. Due to the higher sensitivity also inside the coils homogeneous signals are achieved.
The Hitachi OASIS ™ is also equipped with the SoftSound ™ system, which gently reduces the noise and also increases patient comfort.
The additional features of the Hitachi OASIS ™ are particularly beneficial for our patients: For example, the technology concept can be used to reduce examination times because special tools compensate for unintentional or natural movements of the patient or almost prevent the imaging of artifacts.
Blood vessel examinations can sometimes be performed without administration of contrast medium. Special features of this open magnetic resonance tomograph make it possible to generate accurate and reproducible images suitable for extended clinical use.
We would be happy to explain the advantages of the open magnetic resonance tomograph in a personal conversation!
No fear of the tube
No fear of the tube“
While an MRI scan is completely “normal” for some of us and is accepted in the course of necessary diagnostics to diagnose a condition, in others the idea of having to get into the MRI “tube” causes anxiety.
Particularly affected are patients with a pronounced fear of tight spaces (also called claustrophobia). The states of anxiety may turn into panic attacks.
For this reason, upcoming MRI examinations are “postponed”, in the best case with sedatives “endure” or even stopped in the middle.
Similar inconvenience is felt in patients with a particular amount of body mass that narrows and feels uncomfortable in the tunnel-like architecture of the MRI scanner.
Your anxiety and your discomfort are met with our world’s most powerful open MRI (Hitachi OASIS ™) with a field strength of 1.2 Tesla.
Let us convince you of its patient-friendly design, its well-thought-out functionality and its “openness” (field of view of 270 °)!
We are happy to inform you in more detail about the possibilities of open MRI. Please contact us!
Principle of operation
principle of operation
The functional principle of our open-field magnetic resonance tomograph Hitachi OASIS ™ is based on the same physical principles as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
What is important is that it is a radiopaque procedure, based on the use of a strong magnet (field strength of 1.2 Tesla) and the effect of radio waves.
The open MRI provides us with superimposed three-dimensional tomograms of the inside of the human body, translated into high-resolution, high-contrast images, which we use for our reliable and accurate diagnoses.
The functionality of our open MRI scanner is designed on the one hand to optimize image quality and on the other hand to increase patient comfort:
The superconducting magnet of our open MRI scanner creates a vertical magnetic field to which our Zenith ™ receiver coils are ideally tuned. Depending on the clinical problem, they are used for specific areas of the body.
The knocking sounds that occur during the scan are significantly mitigated on the Hitachi OASIS ™ with SoftSound ™ technology.
In addition, our open high-field magnetic resonance tomograph uses a “shimming” technique, which allows the magnetic field to be homogenized before any new diagnostic examination.
Among other things, this contributes to the fact that the individual images of the patients can be created in the highest quality.
In addition, we would like to mention the numerous variable imaging functions (RADAR ™, TIGRE ™, etc.), which significantly simplify the clinical requirements for the respective scan and contribute to reliable diagnostics.
The open magnetic resonance tomograph Hitachi OASIS ™ is ideal for imaging soft tissue structures and their changes.
His main fields of application are in the following areas:
- of the brain: Assessment of dementias, cerebral infarctions, strokes, inflammation, cerebrospinal fluid, blood vessels and tumors (spectroscopic examination of metabolic products, which may, for example, indicate the loss of cerebral substance after infarction or abnormal cell growth of cancer cells.) Perfusion studies, to the blood supply to the tissues to determine.)
- of the spine: assessment of stenoses (constrictions) of the spinal canal, intervertebral disc diagnostics (protrusion, incident, etc.), pathological changes in the bone marrow
- of the nerve tracts: presentation and assessment of pathological changes of the nerves, e.g. Cancer of the nerves
- of joints: diagnosis of joint inflammation or rheumatic changes, assessment after accidents, condition of cartilage tissue – wear disorders, circulatory disorders, osteoporosis
- Musculature: Tumor diagnostics, e.g. in soft tissue tumors, post-traumatic changes in the muscles after accidents or injuries, scarring, etc.
- of the skeleton: assessment of earlier osteoporotic stages, accidental fractures, bone tumors, etc.
- internal organs: assessment of tumor stages or metastases, inflammatory processes, changes in tissue, e.g. due to cyst formation, diseases of the blood vessels, circulatory disorders, lymph node changes
- the abdominal cavity: diagnosis of free fluid in the abdomen
- of the arteries / veins: (with and without contrast agent administration), diagnosis of arteriosclerosis, aneurysms or vascular anomalies
- Assessment of the anatomy, spread and blood supply of tumors, (determination in tenths of a millimeter possible), biopsies (tissue sampling), whole-body MRI for the diagnosis of metastases
- the breast: evaluation of the breast tissue, e.g. for breast cancer diagnostics
- of the urogenital organs: diagnosis of the uterus, ovaries, urinary bladder, pelvic floor, groin with regard to benign and malignant tumors (including biopsies), cyst formation, inflammation, muscular changes, etc.
- of the urogenital organs: diagnosis of the prostate, seminal vesicles, bladder, testes, groin with regard to benign and malignant tumors, structural changes, inflammation or injury
The open magnetic resonance tomograph is housed in a screened room, where our team can observe you through a large glass window during diagnostics.
They lie down on the comfortable patient table of the open MRI, which is both height and side adjustable. On the one hand you can take a comfortable reclining position, on the other hand we can bring you to the optimal examination position.
During the scan, the table slides slowly into the opening of the magnet. The open structure of the Hitachi OASIS ™ gives you a 270º field of view in the treatment room.
Depending on the clinical question, additional receiver coils are attached to specific parts of the body or optionally administered contrast media. With the image function VASC ™ -ASL, e.g. Blood vessel examinations are carried out without contrast medium.
They spend about 10 to 40 minutes in the MRI room. Among other things, the open scanner has the RAPID ™ imaging function, which can accelerate imaging, reducing examination time and simplifying the procedure.
The knocking sounds are softened by the SoftSound ™ function of the open scanner. On request we will be happy to supply you with earplugs or headphones.
Our team is always close to you during the scan: we can hear and see you and you can call attention to yourself via an electronic bell in case of emergency.
For the best picture quality and the shortest possible examination time, it is very important that you do not move during the examination. You should lie as comfortably as possible, breathe calmly and follow any instructions for inhalation and exhalation of our assistants exactly. In addition, Hitachi OASIS ™ motion-compensating RADAR ™ technology helps prevent artifacts through respiration or peristalsis
Certain clinical issues require the use of a contrast agent to enhance image quality.
We inject the MRI-specific contrast agent via a cannula into a body vein (usually arm vein).
Some findings can only be made with the help of a contrast agent. The substances used are generally very well tolerated. Existing allergies or intolerances we clarify in advance with you.
For example, typical tests with contrast agents include perfusion studies to determine the blood supply to the tissues. Furthermore, the condition of the blood vessels can be performed excellently with the contrast-enhanced angiography.
The open magnetic resonance tomograph Hitachi OASIS ™ offers special imaging functions that can be performed without contrast.
- the time of flight examination (ToF) inside and outside the brain
- VASC ™ -ASL and VASC ™ -FSE for examining veins and arteries
- SIR Map: Determination of plaque deposits in carotid arteries (carotid arteries)
Furthermore, special tools optimize the effective use of contrast agents:
- Contrast agent studies using TPEAKS k-space filling for optimal bolus timing (contrast agent administration)
- FLUTE ™ is used in the imaging of arteries and veins in high-resolution image quality
- TRAQ option: visualization of dynamic processes of the blood vessels
- TIGRE ™ sequences provide the prerequisites for 3D dynamic examinations of all body parts after contrast administration, e.g. for breast or prostate examinations.
The additional imaging functions of our open magnetic resonance tomograph have the advantage, among other things, that the use of contrast media can be significantly reduced. In addition, further tools optimize the diagnostic quality after contrast administration.
Alternatives to open MRT
- Ultrasound examination (sonography): diagnostics based on ultrasound waves
- Computed Tomography: Cross-sectional imaging using X-ray technology; Representation of overlay-free cross-sectional images of the entire body
- Scintigraphy: A radioactive substance is injected and the resulting radiation distribution in the body is measured.
Affected are, inter alia, patients with inserted pacemakers or similar electrical stimulators (pulse generator in the brain) or pumps (for example for insulin). Furthermore, patients who have metal parts in their body, such as metallic heart valves or other metal fragments, should only be tested if certain conditions are met. Whereas prostheses / implants of the joints are generally harmless.
Tattoos or permanent make-up can heat up during the MRI scan, in which case we will provide you with cooling packs. In addition, all metallic objects that you wear on the body must always be deposited before MRI diagnostics.
Piercings, hearing aids, pain plasters, watches, spectacles, belts, rings, coins, keys, pens, hair clips, lapel pins, dentures, costume jewelery, metal garments, etc.
Check cards or debit cards may also not be taken into the examination room, as they would be automatically deleted by the action of the high-field magnet.
When placing a venous cannula or during any infusion of contrast media:
Rare (0.01% -0.1%): damage to the skin, tissue or nerves. Possible, u.U. permanent consequences: pain, inflammation, tissue death, scars and sensory disorders, dysfunction, paralysis.
Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Mild allergic reactions, itching, rash, nausea, or similar minor reactions that usually resolve themselves.
Very rare (<0.01%): Severe allergic reactions with shortness of breath, cardiovascular shock, heart failure, respiratory arrest requiring further intensive care or even permanent damage (e.g., brain damage, organ failure). Allergic reactions may also occur hours after administration of a contrast agent.
Extremely rare (<0.001%): Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis (NSF), a disease associated with scarring of the skin and internal organs that can lead to organ failure and death.